Speaking Under Fire – How to Stand your Own Ground and Communicate in High Stakes, High Pressure Situations
Just these two words can often trigger in people anxiety, fear, nervousness. There is something about public speaking that strikes terror in people, most likely because the feeling of all the eyes fixated on you, with the expectation of you to say something intelligent, that will bring value to the situation. It it precisely the fear of public speaking that makes the ability to speak well in public a rare and highly sought after skill. People often ascend to leadership positions precisely because of this ability to speak well.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the higher someone climbs in an organization, the bigger the responsibilities and the higher the stakes, and the less favourable the conditions they are called upon to speak. In such high pressure situation, the spotlight is firmly on your ability to maintain your composure, your clarity and your confidence under pressure. Ability to do so will diffuse tension and even rally your employees, your bosses, your adversaries on your side. The failure to do so, however, can have dire consequences for your company, and more importantly your career.
In this workshop, Coen Tan aims to bring a new light to your presentation style. He will uncover ways to approach key stakeholders and through his workshop you will be equipped with tools to communicate in high stakes, high pressure situations.
- People who make presentations in highstakes B2B sales situations
- People who have to speak in crisis situations
In this program, participants will learn how to:
- Gain awareness of your natural defences and frightflightfight responses and learn techniques to stay centred in your power in the face of difficult situations
- Apply powerful presentation delivery stances to command the attention of the audience and appear confident on stage in the face of difficulty
- Learn the art of assertive communications and to support your points of views with powerful supporting materials
- How to deconstruct hostile verbal statements and stay on point, and on purpose in difficult situations
- Develop your quick thinking skills so that you can speak on your feet confidently, fluently and knowledgeably
Get into the heads of their audience and discover what keeps the audience engaged
How to Maintain Audience’s Attention and get you to Remember your Core Message
How to form Convincing Arguments and Ideas to Persuade Audience to Take Action
Impromptu Speaking Strategies to Formulate Speeches Off the Cuff
- How to overcome the “Blank Mind Syndrome”
- Templates for impromptu speaking (PREP, Pendulum, etc)
- How to think OutoftheBox and come up with Witty Lines
- Participants will be taught how to Form Wellsupported Arguments, Create Coherent Opinions
- How to analyze issues from multiple points of views so as to form intelligent opinions that are well thought out
- How to interpret complex situations and come up with opinion and suggestions
Lectures, reflection exercises, case studies, experiential exercises, pair-sharing, group sharing, to help participants learn, practice and internalize networking skills and techniques. The training room will be a safe environment where every participant is encouraged to open up and share. Adult learning methodologies such as accelerated learning techniques and experiential exercises will be used. Highly interactive activities ensure that participants are always required to actively reflect, think and express their thoughts, and share their learning.